Meghan O’Connor is a Shareholder in the Health Care, Technology, and Government Law Sections and chairs the Health Information Privacy and Security team. She advises health care, government, and corporate clients on data privacy and security, health information technology and data sharing, and all aspects of Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) compliance with a goal of practical implementation and efficient incident response. Meghan also regularly assists clients with a wide range of regulatory compliance, managed care and insurance, transactional, and general corporate matters. She is a frequent writer and speaker on health law and data privacy and security and lectures on managed care at Marquette University Law School.
Prior to joining von Briesen, Meghan worked for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services where she advised states regarding the interpretation and application of federal health law and policy, evaluated managed care contracts, and conducted compliance reviews.
She serves on the Wisconsin Humane Society Board of Directors and Chairs its Young Leaders Advisory Board. Meghan also serves on The Medical College of Wisconsin Institutional Review Board.
Meghan is a member of the State Bar of Wisconsin, American Health Lawyers Association, American Health Information Management Association, Milwaukee Bar Association, and Association for Women Lawyers. She also serves as co-chair of the HIPAA Collaborative of Wisconsin Privacy Discussion Group. Meghan was recognized as an “Up and Coming Lawyer” by the Wisconsin Law Journal in 2016.
select publications and presentations
- Presenter, Rocky Roads: Patient Right of Access/Compliant and Patient-Centered ROI, HIPAA Collaborative of Wisconsin (Oct. 2016)
- Presenter, What Every Legal Professional Should Know About Using Health Information, Paralegal Association of Wisconsin (Feb. 2016)
- Presenter, Medical Staff, Labor, and Employment Law Issues, Wisconsin Hospital Association (Oct. 2014)
- Presenter, HIPAA — It’s Not Just for Health Lawyers Anymore, State Bar of Wisconsin (Sept. 2013)
- Casting a Wider Net: Health Information Privacy Is Not Just For Health Lawyers, 86 Wis. Law. 32 (Sept. 2013)
- The Brave New World of HIPAA Breaches: Omnibus Rule Changes the HIPAA and HITECH Landscape, Advisory Board Company General Counsel Agenda (Jun. 2013)
- OIG Issues Updated Self-Disclosure Protocol, AHLA Health Lawyers Weekly (Apr. 2013)
- Presenter, All Aboard the HIPAA Omnibus: What Health Care Entities Need to Know about Complying with the New Privacy and Security Regulations, von Briesen & Roper webinar (Mar. 2013)
- Presenter, OIG Hit List, von Briesen & Roper webinar (Oct. 2011)
- The Physician-Patient Relationship & the Professional Standard of Care: Reevaluating Medical Negligence Principles to Achieve the Goals of Tort Reform, 46 Tort Trial & Ins. Prac. L.J. 109 (2011)