MAR 23, 2023
Breakfast Briefing: Ethics for HR Professionals
HR professionals have not been seen as carrying a “fiduciary role” for most employers but times are changing. In an era of highly litigious employees and plaintiff counsel preferring “class actions” over individual plaintiff claims for litigation, the HR professional is at the center of discussion. Fiduciary liability is much broader than the ERISA based definition and requires consideration of the role from a practical side. This has resulted in the need to reevaluate the positional responsibilities and take action to safe-guard the HR professional from claims that can arise in the regular conduct of the job.
Bob Simandl and Audrey Merkel will discuss the steps to be taken now to address legal exposure in:
- Administrative responsibilities for employee benefit plans (pension and health and welfare)
- HIPAA considerations in the operation of group health plan offerings
- Employee confidentiality and the handling of “personal information”
- Necessary safeguards related to the sharing of company information with “peers” and others
- Wage and hour compliance issues and obligations
Please contact Karen Brunow to register.
Registration closes one day prior at 5:00 PM CST.