Aug 23 2022
Jim Macy represents employers in all aspects of employment law including labor negotiations, discrimination defense, disability and ADA issues, wrongful discharge or employment contract disputes, non-competition issues and other difficult personnel transactions. He drafts employment agreements and negotiates employment severances. He represents employers of all sizes, including those with union and non-union workforces as well as police and fire departments.
Jim is Chair of the School Law Section and he represents numerous school districts providing advice on a wide variety of school law issues including student rights, records and discipline; policy issues; Board issues; and all contractual matters. He also serves as an independent hearing officer for student expulsion matters.
Jim has been recognized by The Best Lawyers in America® every year since 2011 and was named “Lawyer of the Year” in Employment Law-Management in both 2013 and 2015.
In 2018, Jim was recognized with the Lynne Webster Leadership Award by the Oshkosh Chamber of Commerce for his continued dedication to the Oshkosh community. He is a member of the Oshkosh Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors and serves as the Chair of the Oshkosh Leadership Steering Committee. Jim also served as a Director on Boards including the Grand Opera House, Town of Black Wolf Board of Zoning Appeals, the Oshkosh Area Humane Society and Unified Catholic Schools Foundation.
- University of Wisconsin, J.D.
- University of Wisconsin-La Crosse, B.S.
- National School Attorneys Association
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- American Bar Association
- Contributing Author, “Public Sector Labor Relations in Wisconsin,” State Bar of Wisconsin
- Contributing Author, “Municipal Staff Reductions,” State Bar of Wisconsin
- Author, “Drafting Employee Manuals,” American Bar Association
- Author, “How to Advise in Harassment Cases,” American Bar Association
- Best Lawyers® Employment Law-Management "Lawyer of the Year", Green Bay (2013, 2015), Labor Law-Management "Lawyer of the Year", Green Bay (2013)
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Employment Law-Management (2011-2023), Labor Law-Management (2011-2023), Municipal Law (2017-2023)
- Wisconsin Super Lawyers® (2005-2010)
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Lynne Webster Leadership Award, Oshkosh Chamber of Commerce (2018)
- Wisconsin Law Foundation, Fellow
- Oshkosh Leadership Steering Committee, Chair
- Town of Black Wolf Board of Zoning Appeals, Chair