Don Schoenfeld is a shareholder and past chair of the firm’s Real Estate Practice Group. His expertise includes all aspects of real estate acquisition, construction, performance contracting, leasing, finance and development. He has extensive experience in representing hospitals in construction and real estate projects, with over $1 billion in projects developed. He also has significant experience in representing school districts in connection with performance contracting and construction projects, with over $150 million dollars in performance service contracts completed. Don has also represented community development authorities in governance and development matters.
During his career, he has been the lead attorney in negotiating and drafting architect and contractor agreements, joint ventures between clinics and hospitals, joint campus arrangements with reciprocal easement and operating agreements, environmental remediation requirements, build-to-suit leases, substantial commercial and office leases, development agreements and condominium declarations. In real estate financing transactions, Don has negotiated and drafted credit agreements, security instruments and has provided opinions regarding the enforceability of substantial credit facilities.
Don was included on the Wisconsin Super Lawyers® list (2005-2007). He is a past co-chair of the Milwaukee Bar Association’s Real Property Section. He is a frequent presenter and has been a lecturer for the State Bar of Wisconsin, Milwaukee Bar Association, Lorman Institute, Inc., National Business Institute, Inc. and Professional Education Systems, Inc. In 1995 and in 2002 he received the Milwaukee Young Lawyers Association’s and the State Bar of Wisconsin’s Pro Bono award, respectively, for his volunteer work with Legal Action of Wisconsin, Inc., a non-profit group providing legal representation to low-income individuals.
He is a contributing author to the Wisconsin Practice Series, 4th Edition: Co-Author, Chapter 8 – Land Contracts and Remedies; Author, Chapter 60 – Personal Property Transactions; Co-Author Chapter 72 – Garnishment; and, Co-Author Chapter 73 – Attachment.
- “Construction Contracts Made Easy,” Wisconsin Counties Association, July 2015
- “Lessons in Performance Contracting,” Wisconsin Association of School Business Officials, January 2014
- “Simple Tips and Tactics to Maximize Savings in Construction Contracting and Leasing,” Wisconsin Healthcare Financial Management Association, May 2013
- “Top 10 Provisions In An AIA Construction Contract That An Owner Would Want To Change” Milwaukee Bar Association, March 2013
- “What Every Real Estate Lawyer Should Know about Commercial Leases” von Briesen & Roper Seminar, September 2012