Dan Welytok is a Shareholder in the Milwaukee office of von Briesen & Roper, s.c. Dan’s practice focuses on helping management achieve practical results in all aspects of business. He assists clients nationally and internationally with business development, tax issues, acquisitions and divestments, capital structuring, financing, corporate governance, information technology, licensing and distribution, regulatory and compliance issues, labor and employee benefits matters, and dispute resolution. Dan represents clients before the Internal Revenue Service, the Department of Labor, Federal and state courts and regulatory agencies on audits, controversies, compliance issues and business disputes. He advises nonprofit and tax-favored organizations on business and tax matters including structural and cooperative arrangements, joint ventures, unrelated business income, grant making, public awareness campaigns and fundraising activities.
Dan has served in numerous leadership roles in various professional associations and was recently appointed by the U.S. Department of Treasury to serve on the Internal Revenue Service Advisory Committee on Tax Exempt and Government Entities. He has served on the American Bar Association’s Advisory Committee, articles editor for The Tax Lawyer and chair of the ABA Tax Law Committee, Young Lawyers Division. He is also a past member of the State Bar of Wisconsin Tax Section Board of Directors and past chair of the TE/GE Council for the Great Lakes Area liaison with the Internal Revenue Service. Dan frequently gives presentations at various local and national seminars and is an editorial board member and regular contributor to the industry publication, The Cooperative Accountant. He has authored and edited various tax and law-related books listed as best sellers by Amazon.com, including Nonprofit Law & Governance for Dummies with a foreword by U.S. Senator Chuck Grassley, Sarbanes-Oxley for Dummies and The Wisconsin Guide to Nonprofits. Dan is also the chair of the firm’s Opinion Review Committee.
His experience includes:
- Assisting offshore businesses with U.S. ventures and U.S. businesses with cross-border transactions and product distribution.
- Advising various tax-exempt and non-profit organizations, including some of the nation’s leading cooperative organizations and public charities on the business and tax implications of various transactions and activities, including partnering arrangements, joint ventures, UBIT, grantmaking and related agreements.
- Developing the organizational, contractual and distribution structure for a nation-wide wireless communications network arrangement among rural electric and telephone cooperative organizations.
- Helping public charities and nonprofit health care organizations negotiate contracts and partnering agreements, business associate agreements, public awareness campaigns and fundraising activities.
- Working with various boards of directors on governance and management issues.
- Developing and organizing courses and acting as an instructor for continuing education courses for accountants, lawyers and the insurance industry.
- Assisting in the satellite broadcasting industry’s lobbying efforts pertaining to sales and use tax in connection with drafting and subsequently modifying the direct-to-home satellite service provisions of the Telecommunications Act of 1996.