Chris Schreiber is a Shareholder at von Briesen & Roper, s.c. Chris is the Chair of the Bankruptcy and Creditors Rights Section and a member of the Banking and Commercial Finance and Real Estate Sections. He is recognized as a Rising StarSM by Wisconsin Super Lawyers® in the area of Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights.
Chris has extensive experience representing lenders (state/national banks, private equity, mortgage trusts) and other creditors with respect to the following:
- Bankruptcy, in particular representation of secured creditors and supply chain businesses in Chapter 11 and the enforcement of liens in business equipment, in particular heavy machinery, in Chapter 11 and 12
- Negotiation and litigation with receiver and other secured creditors over lien priority, asset disposition, and payment in the context of Wisconsin’s unique Chapter 128 receivership proceedings
- Enforcement of clients’ Article 9 remedies in equipment and other business assets through self-help repossession and state court replevin litigation
- Commercial foreclosure and workouts
- Consumer finance litigation, including defense of claims made under TILA, FDCPA, or the Wisconsin Consumer Act
Chris also has a complimentary real estate practice in which he represents businesses, lenders and individuals with respect to the following:
- Reviewing, drafting and negotiating commercial real estate loan documents
- Representing owners with respect to title, zoning, leasing, development, and sale transactions
- Representing commercial tenants in landlord disputes
- Filing and enforcement of construction liens
- Litigation involving all of the foregoing
Chris is a member of the State Bar of Wisconsin (Bankruptcy, Insolvency, and Creditors Rights Section), the American Bankruptcy Institute, the Turnaround Management Association Chicago/Midwest Chapter, and the Milwaukee Bar Association (Chair, Bankruptcy Section).
Chris also serves on the Board of Directors and the Lending Advisory Committee for ACTS Housing, a Milwaukee non-profit organization dedicated to enabling low-income home ownership through counseling, brokerage, and lending services.