Chris Schreiber is a Shareholder at von Briesen & Roper, s.c. Chris is the Chair of the Bankruptcy and Creditors Rights Section and a member of the Banking and Commercial Finance and Real Estate Sections. He is recognized as a Rising StarSM by Wisconsin Super Lawyers® in the area of Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights.
Chris has extensive experience representing lenders (state/national banks, private equity, mortgage trusts) and other creditors with respect to the following:
- Bankruptcy, in particular representation of secured creditors and supply chain businesses in Chapter 11 and the enforcement of liens in business equipment, in particular heavy machinery, in Chapter 11 and 12
- Negotiation and litigation related to lien priority, asset disposition, and payment in the context of Wisconsin’s unique Chapter 128 receivership proceedings
- Enforcement of clients’ Article 9 remedies in equipment and other business assets through self-help repossession and state court replevin litigation
- Commercial foreclosure and workouts
- Consumer finance litigation, including defense of claims made under TILA, FDCPA, or the Wisconsin Consumer Act
Chris also has a complimentary real estate practice in which he represents businesses, lenders and individuals with respect to the following:
- Reviewing, drafting and negotiating commercial real estate loan documents
- Representing owners with respect to title, zoning, leasing, development, and sale transactions
- Representing commercial tenants in landlord disputes
- Filing and enforcement of construction liens
- Real estate litigation
Chris is a member of the State Bar of Wisconsin (Bankruptcy, Insolvency, and Creditors Rights Section), the American Bankruptcy Institute, the Turnaround Management Association Chicago/Midwest Chapter, and the Milwaukee Bar Association (Chair, Bankruptcy Section).
Chris dedicates a significant amount of time serving the Milwaukee community. Chris serves on the Board of Directors and is the co-chair of the Lending Advisory Committee for ACTS Housing, a Milwaukee non-profit organization dedicated to enabling low-income home ownership through counseling, brokerage, and lending services. Chris is also on the Board of Directors for Hispanic Professionals of Greater Milwaukee (HPGM), which strives to be the leading resource for professional development of Hispanics in Wisconsin.