Josh Kopp is a Shareholder in the Madison office of von Briesen & Roper, s.c. Josh brings a unique focus to his self-styled role as a “primary care attorney.” Just as a primary care physician is skilled in care for substantially all of a patient’s medical and health care needs, Josh has comprehensive experience in representing businesses and individuals in most all of their transactional and litigation matters. For example, Josh assists clients with real estate sales, business formations, mergers and acquisitions, commercial and residential rental matters, and probate. In terms of litigation, he has represented a wide range of businesses and individuals. For example, he has defended the seller of a commercial property against claims of misrepresentation as to the condition of the property; defended a surveyor against claims of negligence, recovering sanctions for the frivolousness of the claims; and defeated a challenge to the admission of a Will to probate by the estranged daughter of the deceased.
Josh has extensive experience representing banks and finance companies in conjunction with non-performing accounts. This representation has included everything from negotiating workouts and forbearances, to litigating real estate foreclosures and adversary proceedings in bankruptcy, to collection of money judgments through post-judgment enforcement mechanisms such as garnishment and execution. Not only handling collections, Josh represents banks in credit transactions with borrowers, by drafting and reviewing loan documents for all types of matters.
Josh is a member of the Wisconsin Land Title Association, the State Bar of Wisconsin and the Dane County and Columbia County Bar Associations. He has been recognized as a Rising StarSM by Wisconsin Super Lawyers® (2006, 2008-2014) in several areas and most recently in the area of Creditor/Debtor Rights.
- E & S Comfort Inn of Wisconsin Inc. vs. US Assets Wisconsin LP et al, Wood County Case No. 12CV363
- Bank of America NA vs. Carol J. Larson et al, Columbia County Case No. 12CV90
- Cambridge State Bank vs. Summer Prairie Inc et al, Dane County Case No. 10CV2282
- Robert D Hatch et al vs. Ronald J. Cuchna et al, Columbia County Case No. 07CV481
Presentations, Publications & Contributions
- Real Estate Law: Advanced Issues and Answers, National Business Institute (August 2014)
- Foreclosure Compliance: New Requirements and Advanced Issues, National Business Institute (June 2014)
- Landlord-Tenant Law, Sterling Education Services, Inc. (July 2012 and 2014)
- Top 10 Title Defects - Cured, National Business Institute (December 2013)
- Doing the Deal: Hope for the Best but Plan for the Worst, Webinar, Commercial Law WebAdvisor (August 2012)
- Author of publications on various legal topics, including, as co-author, a chapter on the relationship between manufacturers and distributors in Business Organizations, a treatise published by the State Bar of Wisconsin