Matt Thome is a Shareholder in the Litigation and Risk Management Practice Group. He focuses his practice on representing clients in high-stakes, complex business disputes and government enforcement matters. He has significant experience representing and advising clients in a broad range of areas including government and commercial contracts, business torts, consumer protection law, the False Claims Act, ERISA, administrative law, constitutional law, and trade secrets. Matt’s experience includes advising clients on their options prior to the initiation of litigation; representing clients in all phases of litigation before federal and state courts at the trial level and on appeal, as well as in arbitration and mediation; and representing clients in government investigations.
Prior to joining von Briesen, Matt practiced for six years in Washington D.C. in the Government and Regulatory Litigation group at WilmerHale. Matt also served as a law clerk to the Hon. Priscilla R. Owen of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, the Hon. C. Weston Houck of the U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina and the Hon. Karen J. Williams of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
- Represented a global aerospace corporation in a government contracts dispute pending in the Court of Federal Claims.
- Represented a global aerospace corporation in a government contracts dispute that resulted in a three-week trial before the Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals.
- Successfully briefed an ERISA preemption case for a client in the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Represented an investment advisor in federal court against claims alleging violations of Section 36(b) of the Investment Company Act for allegedly excessive fees charged to mutual funds.
- Represented a government contractor in arbitration proceedings in a dispute with the contractor’s joint-venture partner involving allegations of breach of contract.
- Successfully moved to compel arbitration in a federal court case brought by one of the client’s customers alleging various state law claims and a federal RICO claim.
- Represented a defense contractor in a contract dispute in Indiana state court that resulted in a three-week trial.
Government Investigations and Enforcement Matters
- Represented a telecommunications company in consumer protection litigation against a State Attorney General.
- Represented a telecommunications company in a U.S. Department of Justice investigation arising out of qui tam litigation under the False Claims Act.
- Represented a technology company in an investigation conducted by the Special Inspector General for the Troubled Asset Relief Program (SIGTARP).
- Represented a technology company in an investigation conducted by the consumer protection section of a State Attorney General.
- Represented an individual in a murder prosecution in Washington D.C. that resulted in a trial and on appeal before the D.C. Court of Appeals.
- Represented an individual in a murder prosecution in Maryland.
- Represented the plaintiffs in an Establishment Clause case challenging the display of a religious symbol on government property.