Angela Rust is a member of the Health Law Section. She focuses her practice on representing independent providers, such as physician clinics, ambulatory surgery centers, and provider-owned networks. Angela has extensive experience structuring and implementing innovative health care delivery models such as bundled payment programs, on-site/near-site clinics, and centers of excellence agreements in multiple states.
She assists clients with topics such as:
- ACO, PHO, IPA and other provider network arrangements
- Value-based provider/payer contracting
- Provider employment and shareholder agreements
- Hospital/physician alignment agreements
- Privacy and security laws, such as HIPAA
- State level health laws (including corporate practice of medicine and fee-splitting issues)
- Contracts among provider-owned companies for real estate leases, clinic timeshares, purchase and rental of clinical equipment, professional services, and other arrangements
- Stark and Anti-kickback compliance
In addition to her Counsel role with von Briesen, Angela serves as the Chief Legal Officer for NOVO Health, where she also oversees strategy implementation. NOVO Health is a health care platform company connecting independent health care providers and employers who provide health care benefits to their employees.
Angela routinely manages the legal needs of health providers on an in-house basis. Working inside clinics and surgery centers as part of a multi-disciplinary team has given Angela a first-hand perspective of the fast-paced environment in which her clients must react to legal questions and concerns. Angela prides herself on providing efficient, practical advice that is also good for business.
Angela teaches medical students about health law as Faculty to the Medical College of Wisconsin (Green Bay campus). She has also enjoyed teaching health care administration courses as Adjunct Faculty to Marian University (Fond du Lac).
Three kids and a Norwegian Elkhound keep Angela busy outside the office. Her favorite place to be is on the water, particularly by kayak or stand-up paddleboard.
Professional and Community Associations
- State Bar of Wisconsin (Health Law Section Board Member)
- American Health Lawyers Association
- American Bar Association Health Law Section
- Tempo Fox Valley
- Ethics Integration Committee for Ascension’s St. Elizabeth Hospital (Appleton)
Representative Publications and Presentations
- “State Regulation of Centers of Excellence Programs: Where National Trend Meets Local Law,” Health Law Blog, State Bar of Wisconsin Health Law Section, February 2021
- “Three Considerations When Your Health Care Client Shifts to the Platform Economy,” Health Law Blog, State Bar of Wisconsin Health Law Section, February 2019
- “Value-based Healthcare Models,” FEI of Northeastern Wisconsin (FEI NEW), March 2017 (panelist)
- “New Directions in Direct Contracting: Partnering with Employers to Drive Innovation,” Wisconsin Medical Group Management Association 2016 Symposium
- “Tapping into the Self-Insured Employer Market,” co-author, Outpatient Surgery Magazine, March 2016
- “Beginning to Bundle,” Association of Wisconsin Surgery Centers, Inc., webinar, June 2016
- “The ASC Check-Up: Diagnosing and Preventing Common Legal Problems,” Association of Wisconsin Surgery Centers, Inc., webinar, October 2015
- “Practice Area Snapshot: Independent Physicians Groups,” Wisconsin Health Law News, State Bar of Wisconsin, Volume 7, Issue 3, October 2015
- “Earlier Age of Viability: Is 23 the New 24 Weeks?” Wisconsin Association for Perinatal Care 45th Annual Conference, April 2015 (panelist)
- “POA, POLST, DNR and Other Advanced Directives,” Advanced Mediation Training: Elder Mediation, Winnebago County Conflict Resolution Center, November 2014, 2015 and 2016
- “Bioethics: Current Issues for Attorneys,” National Business Institute teleconference, October 2014
- “So Happy Together: Employers and Providers Working Together to Control Health Care Costs,” Third Annual Health, Labor, and Employment Law Institute, State Bar of Wisconsin, August 2014
- “Communication and Conflict Resolution in the Workplace,” Fox Valley Chapter of the Society for Human Resource Management Annual Labor & Employment Law Update, October 2013
- “Ethical Implications in Genomics: The New Frontier,” OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center Ethics Fall Conference, Northern Illinois University Center, September 2013 (panelist)
- “A Toolbox for Addressing Disruptive Provider Behavior,” Wisconsin Medical Society 14th Annual Symposium, September 2013
- “BAA Humbug: Business Associate Agreements of the Future,” Second Annual Health, Labor, and Employment Law Institute, State Bar of Wisconsin, August 2013
- “The ABCs of IRBs for Attorney Community Members,” Health Lawyers Weekly, American Health Lawyers Association, Volume 10, Issue 18, May 4, 2012