John A. Nelson is a Shareholder in the Litigation, Risk Management and Health Law Sections.
John has extensive experience in the areas of personal injury, peer review, and medical malpractice litigation, particularly in representing healthcare organizations and psychiatrists. Since entering private practice in 1978, he has focused on health litigation involving representation of hospitals and nursing homes through a liability insurance plan offered through the Wisconsin Hospital Association. His practice has included a wide range of hospital, nursing home, hospice and physician defense, including medical negligence, permises liability, litigation from credentialing disputes, professional licensing issues, and peer review matters. John has also represented numerous psychiatrists in the State of Wisconsin through a national professional organization liability insurance plan. He has successfully litigated issues of suicide, misdiagnosis, improper treatment, failure to diagnose physical ailment, negligent supervision, undue familiarity, consent issues, breach of confidentiality, and improper commitment.
John has spoken to numerous professional groups including the Wisconsin Society of Health Care Risk Management, the Wisconsin Association for Healthcare Quality, the Wisconsin Psychiatric Association, as well as medical staffs and hospital groups.
He is a member of the Milwaukee and American Bar Associations, the State Bar of Wisconsin, the Wisconsin Academy of Trial Lawyers, the American Health Lawyers Association and the Milwaukee Bar Association Court’s Committee and Ethics Advisory Committee. He is also trial counsel to the Wisconsin Board of Attorneys Professional Responsibility.
John is recognized by The Best Lawyers in America® in the field of Medical Malpractice Law. He has been awarded AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®, the highest peer review rating possible, for legal ability and ethical standards for over twenty (20) years.
- Czapinski v. St. Francis Hosp., Inc., Supreme Court of Wisconsin, July 6, 2000, 236 Wis.2d 316, 613 N.W.2d 120, 98-243798
- Hofflander v. St. Catherine’s Hosp., Inc., Supreme Court of Wisconsin, July 1, 2003, 262 Wis.2d 539, 664 N.W.2d 545, 00-2467
- Guzman v. St. Francis Hospital, Inc., Supreme Court of Wisconsin, May 2, 2000, 234 Wis.2d 170, 609 N.W.2d 166, 98-2710
- Mathias v. St. Catherine’s Hosp., Inc., Court of Appeals of Wisconsin, July 30, 1997, 212 Wis.2d 540, 569 N.W.2d 330, 96-1632
- Monson v. Madison Family Institute, Supreme Court of Wisconsin, June 5, 1991, 162 Wis.2d 212, 470 N.W.2d 853, 89-0314
- Schaidler v. Mercy Medical Center of Oshkosh, Inc., Court of Appeals of Wisconsin, March 19, 1997, 209 Wis.2d 457, 563 N.W.2d 554, 96-0645
- Staudt v. Froedtert Memorial Lutheran Hosp., Court of Appeals of Wisconsin, March 17, 1998, 217 Wis.2d 773, 580 N.W.2d 361, 97-0194, 97-0192
- Nommensen v. American Continental Ins. Co., Court of Appeals of Wisconsin, September 27, 2000, 239 Wis.2d 129, 619 N.W.2d 137, 99-3018
- Alvarado v. Sersch, Supreme Court of Wisconsin, June 5, 2003, 262 Wis.2d 74, 662 N.W.2d 350, 01-1715