Jun 08 2022
Daniel S. Welytok
411 East Wisconsin Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53202
Dan Welytok is a Shareholder in the Milwaukee office. Dan’s practice focuses on helping management achieve practical results in all aspects of business. He assists clients nationally and internationally with business development, tax issues, acquisitions and divestments, capital structuring, financing, corporate governance, information technology, licensing and distribution, regulatory and compliance issues, labor and employee benefits matters, and dispute resolution. Dan represents clients before the Internal Revenue Service, the Department of Labor, Federal and state courts and regulatory agencies on audits, controversies, compliance issues and business disputes. He advises nonprofit and tax-favored organizations on business and tax matters including structural and cooperative arrangements, joint ventures, unrelated business income, grant making, public awareness campaigns and fundraising activities.
Dan frequently gives presentations at various local and national seminars and is an editorial board member and regular contributor to the industry publication, The Cooperative Accountant. He has authored and edited various tax and law-related books listed as best sellers by Amazon.com, including Nonprofit Law & Governance for Dummies with a foreword by U.S. Senator Chuck Grassley, Sarbanes-Oxley for Dummies, The Wisconsin Guide to Nonprofits and the National Income Tax Workbook. Dan is also the chair of the firm’s Opinion Review Committee.
His experience includes:
- Assisting offshore businesses with U.S. ventures and U.S. businesses with cross-border transactions and product distribution.
- Working with various boards of directors on governance and management issues.
- Advising various tax-exempt and non-profit organizations, including some of the nation’s leading cooperative organizations and public charities on the business and tax implications of various transactions and activities, including partnering arrangements, joint ventures, UBIT, grantmaking and related agreements.
- Developing the organizational, contractual and distribution structure for a nation-wide wireless communications network arrangement among rural electric and telephone cooperative organizations.
- Helping public charities and nonprofit health care organizations negotiate contracts and partnering agreements, business associate agreements, public awareness campaigns and fundraising activities.
- Developing and organizing courses and acting as an instructor for continuing education courses for accountants, lawyers and the insurance industry.
- Assisting in the satellite broadcasting industry’s lobbying efforts pertaining to sales and use tax in connection with drafting and subsequently modifying the direct-to-home satellite service provisions of the Telecommunications Act of 1996.
- De Paul University, LL.M., with distinction, 1990
- University of Wisconsin, J.D., 1987; B.B.A., cum laude, 1984
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. District Court, Eastern and Western Districts of Wisconsin
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
- U.S. Department of Treasury, Internal Revenue Service Advisory Committee on Tax Exempt and Government Entities
- American Bar Association (Former Advisory Committee Member, Former Chair Tax Law Committee)
- State Bar of Wisconsin (Tax Section, Former Member Board of Directors)
- Milwaukee Bar Association
- Wisconsin Institute of Certified Public Accountants (WICPA), Affiliate Member