Mar 17 2022
Tony Wachewicz is a Shareholder in the Government Law Group. He has substantial experience as a governmental attorney and leader in northeast Wisconsin having served as the Village Attorney for Ashwaubenon and City Attorney for Green Bay. Prior to these appointments as a public official, he was an Assistant City Attorney for Green Bay and a Staff Attorney for Brown County. Tony has served local government extensively handling needs in compliance with governmental powers, labor and employment matters such as harassment and discrimination, collective bargaining and personnel investigations, along with various real estate transactions involving tax incremental financing (TIF) and eminent domain. Additionally, he has provided continuous guidance concerning public record and open meeting issues, elections, public construction concerns, and a myriad of other operational and financing matters. Tony’s prior experience extends to providing similar governmental counsel to school districts on general school law matters such as FERPA and pupil records, expulsions and disciplinary issues, intergovernmental matters including law enforcement, and special education related matters. Finally, Tony’s private sector experience from his time as in-house counsel for a local health care provider as well as outside counsel in private practice brings added perspective in understanding client needs.
Selected matters illustrating Tony’s experience include:
- Member of Development Team and legal advisor for Village and Community Development Authority on construction of $93 million Brown County Resch Expo Project.
- Drafted Development Agreements for Phases 1 and 2 and Infrastructure Agreement for the Titletown District.
- Managed multiple personnel investigations within Law Enforcement/Fire and EMS Departments subject to public scrutiny and resulting claims and litigation.
- Highly complex investigation into multiple public officials related to alleged violations of anti-harassment and violence in the workplace policy.
- Drafted first of its kind short-term rental licensing and zoning ordinances as a result of state law changes.
- Internal employment investigations for school districts.
- Served as legal advisor and member of development and construction team for construction of a public event center stadium for local semi-professional baseball and soccer teams.
- Drafted and revised numerous real estate documents and development agreements for multiple residential housing projects each valued between $10 to $20 million and funded with tax increment financing.
- Litigated grievance arbitration against Firefighter Union resulting in extension of firefighter duties to new pilot program.
- Advised Clerk and Board of Canvassers for election recount.
- Drafted intergovernmental Consolidation Agreement that merged local Fire Departments.
- Negotiated and drafted Development Agreements for relocation of multiple high profile corporate headquarters.
- Coordinated temporary municipal acquisition, operation, and sale of hotel out of receivership to protect municipal interests for convention center expansion.
Tony’s broad public and private sector service allows him to understand multiple perspectives and implications when providing practical solutions to novel and recurring problems. More importantly, Tony’s personal relationships established during his public service allows him to understand the human element of challenging situations to act as a trusted advisor while finding creative resolutions.
In his spare time, Tony enjoys the outdoors, as well as reading, cooking, and spending time with his loved ones, including his three terriers.
- William Mitchell College of Law, J.D., 2001
- University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, B.S., cum laude, 1997
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- State Bar of Wisconsin