Chris Smith is a Shareholder and co-Chair of the Real Estate Section. He focuses his practice on real estate development, eminent domain and property tax. He has significant experience in all phases of real estate development with a particular emphasis on drafting and negotiating development agreements, Tax Increment Financing (TIF) and public-private partnerships. He represents both public and private entities on eminent domain matters and property tax assessments. Chris is a frequent presenter on land use and tax issues.
Chris is also a member of the Government Law Group. In addition to working with counties and municipalities on real estate and development issues, Chris has experience conducting investigations, developing intergovernmental agreements, Police and Fire Commission hearings, and transactional matters. He currently serves as City Attorney for South Milwaukee and as Village Attorney for Mount Pleasant.
Outside of the office, Chris serves as the President and Founder of the Da Crusher Foundation, a 501(c)(3) that successfully led the effort to create and install the famous Crusher Statue and continues to oversee the annual Crusherfest celebration in South Milwaukee.
- Marquette University, J.D., 2004
- University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, B.B.A., 2001
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- Milwaukee Bar Association
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Government Relations (2024)
- Wisconsin Rising Stars (2009-2018)
- Wisconsin Policy Forum, Government Finance and Economic Development Committees