Nov 18 2010
Daniel Dennehy advises private sector clients, especially health care providers on all aspects of employment, personnel, and labor matters. As part of this advising, he has conducted management seminars, including those for MRA, Wisconsin Society for Healthcare Risk Management (WSHRM), Health Care Mega Conference, Wisconsin Society for Healthcare Human Resources Administration (WSHHRA), American Association of Healthcare Administrative Management (AAHAM), and Society for Human Resources Management (SHRM).
He also litigates employment-related claims in state and federal courts and before administrative agencies. He has successfully defended clients against hundreds of employment discrimination claims.
His hospital litigation experience includes:
- Obtaining $6M for a hospital client
- Defending a $2M claim against a hospital
- Negotiating a $3M settlement for Milwaukee hospitals from the GAMP Program
His employment experience includes:
- Defending against first health care whistle-blower claim heard by the Labor Industry Review Commission
- Obtaining worker’s compensation death benefit for a religious order
- Drafting hundreds of severance agreements and employment contracts
- Advising and managing clients with regard to union issues
- Advising and representing clients during wage and hour audits
- Negotiating settlements of many employment-related claims
- Prevailing in federal and Wisconsin employment-related cases – both jury and court trials as well as administrative agencies
His published court decisions include:
- Kettle Moraine Hosp., Inc. v. Hale, 129 Wis.2d 373, 385 N.W.2d 514 (Ct. App. 1986)
- Dinges v. Sacred Heart St. Mary’s Hospitals, Inc., 164 F.3d 1056 (7th Cir. 1999)
- Brown v. Society For Preservation and Encouragement of Barber Shop Quartet Singing in America, Inc., Fed.Appx. 377 (7th Cir. 2001)
- Goggins v. Rogers Memorial Hosp., Inc., 274 Wis.2d 754, 683 (N.W.2d 510 (Ct. App. 2004)).
He has authored the Wages and Hours chapter of Wisconsin Employment Law and the Wisconsin Wages & Hours Handbook (1st, 2nd, and 3rd Editions), both published by the State Bar of Wisconsin.
Dan is the Chairperson of the Milwaukee County Personnel Review Board. Dan was the first Legal Liaison to the Board of Directors of WSHHRA (2008-2010). He is a member of Phi Beta Kappa and Alpha Sigma Nu.
He is a member of the FBI Milwaukee Citizens Academy Alumni Association (FBIMCAAA) and a silver life master of the American Contract Bridge League. Formerly he was a Milwaukee County Court Commissioner. He has won bridge tournaments in Paris, Nice, and Guadalajara.
- Marquette University, J.D., magna cum laude, 1979
- University of Minnesota, M.A., 1972
- St. Louis University, B.A., summa cum laude, 1971
- U.S. District Court, Eastern and Western Districts of Wisconsin, Northern District of Illinois
- American Bar Association (member, Labor and Employment Law Section; Senior Lawyers Division; Health Law Forum)
- State Bar of Wisconsin (member, Litigation, Health Law and Labor and Employment Sections)
- Milwaukee Bar Association