John has extensive experience in the areas of personal injury, peer review, and medical malpractice litigation, particularly in representing healthcare organizations and psychiatrists. Since entering private practice in 1978, he has focused on health litigation involving representation of hospitals and nursing homes through a liability insurance plan offered through the Wisconsin Hospital Association. His practice has included a wide range of hospital, nursing home, hospice and physician defense, including medical negligence, permises liability, litigation from credentialing disputes, professional licensing issues, and peer review matters. John has also represented numerous psychiatrists in the State of Wisconsin through a national professional organization liability insurance plan. He has successfully litigated issues of suicide, misdiagnosis, improper treatment, failure to diagnose physical ailment, negligent supervision, undue familiarity, consent issues, breach of confidentiality, and improper commitment.
John has spoken to numerous professional groups including the Wisconsin Society of Health Care Risk Management, the Wisconsin Association for Healthcare Quality, the Wisconsin Psychiatric Association, as well as medical staffs and hospital groups.
He is trial counsel to the Wisconsin Board of Attorneys Professional Responsibility.
- Assistant U.S. Attorney, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 1974-78
- University of Wisconsin, J.D., 1974
- U.S. Army, 1968-71
- Post College of Long Island University, B.A., cum laude, 1968
- U.S. District Court, Eastern and Western Districts of Wisconsin, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Milwaukee Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Academy of Trial Lawyers
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Czapinski v. St. Francis Hosp., Inc., Supreme Court of Wisconsin, July 6, 2000, 236 Wis.2d 316, 613 N.W.2d 120, 98-243798
- Hofflander v. St. Catherine’s Hosp., Inc., Supreme Court of Wisconsin, July 1, 2003, 262 Wis.2d 539, 664 N.W.2d 545, 00-2467
- Guzman v. St. Francis Hospital, Inc., Supreme Court of Wisconsin, May 2, 2000, 234 Wis.2d 170, 609 N.W.2d 166, 98-2710
- Nommensen v. American Continental Ins. Co., Court of Appeals of Wisconsin, September 27, 2000, 239 Wis.2d 129, 619 N.W.2d 137, 99-3018
- Alvarado v. Sersch, Supreme Court of Wisconsin, June 5, 2003, 262 Wis.2d 74, 662 N.W.2d 350, 01-1715
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Medical Malpractice Law-Defendants (2013-2022)