Oct 19 2021
Kelly J. Noyes
411 East Wisconsin Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53202
Kelly Noyes is a Shareholder and co-Chair of the Class Actions Section.
Kelly has significant experience in complex business litigation, particularly in the areas of ERISA and health care billing and collections. Kelly pairs her knowledge of the law with a passion for understanding her clients’ businesses, so she can achieve cost-effective resolutions to clients’ problems, both in and out of the courtroom. She has particular experience in the ERISA, benefits, and health care sectors, working with providers, payers (including self-insured employers), and vendors to resolve disputes under benefit plans and implement procedures to avoid future litigation. Kelly regularly litigates in both state and federal courts throughout the country, including litigating appeals before the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals, and the Wisconsin Court of Appeals and Supreme Court.
Kelly is also a member of the Compensation and Benefits/ERISA Section, where she focuses on drafting, consulting, and compliance with regard to retirement plans, health and welfare benefit plans, ERISA, Employee Stock Ownership Plans (ESOPs), and executive compensation. Kelly’s extensive litigation background provides her with a unique perspective that allows her to accurately counsel clients regarding risk, and gives her a keen insight of potential issues when drafting and advising with regard to client retirement and benefit plans.
Kelly is an active supporter of women business owners and entrepreneurs.
- University of Wisconsin, J.D., summa cum laude, Order of the Coif, 2007
- Michigan State University, B.A., with highest honors, 2004
- U.S. District Court, Eastern and Western Districts of Wisconsin, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
- 7th Circuit Bar Association
- Eastern District of Wisconsin Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Milwaukee Bar Association
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- Association for Women Lawyers, (Board Member, 2016-2018)
- Defended health insurer against class-action lawsuit alleging ERISA and state law claims, including appeal to 7th Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Defended health care provider against multi-million dollar breach of contract and ERISA suit, and obtained judgment dismissing all claims prior to trial.
- Defended health care clients against Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) claims in multiple jurisdictions.
- Drafted updated Summary Plan Description for an employer’s self-insured health benefit plan, identifying key issues in previous draft and updating them to ensure compliance with relevant law and minimize risk of future disputes.
- Managed discovery, including extensive electronic discovery, in a complex international contract dispute and obtained a favorable settlement prior to trial.
- Successfully defended dismissal of a toxic tort claim before the Wisconsin Court of Appeals.
- Advised health-care industry clients regarding collections, including drafting policies related to protection of personal health information under HIPAA and Wisconsin privacy laws.
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Insurance Law (2021-2023)
- Wisconsin Rising Stars (2012-2022)
- Association for Women Lawyers Community Involvement Award (2020)
- KNOW Women – Milwaukee (2020-2022)
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Wisconsin Law Journal, Up & Coming Lawyer (2014)
- Wisconsin Access to Justice Commission Pro Bono Honor Society (2014)
- Milwaukee Ballet, Board of Directors
- Medical College of Wisconsin Cancer Center Philanthropic Board, Community Events Chair
- Elmbrook Humane Society, Board of Directors
- Economic Justice Institute, University of Wisconsin Law School (Board President and Board Member, 2011-2018)
Areas of Practice
- Class Actions
- Compensation and Benefits/ERISA
- Employer Health Plans Team
- ERISA Litigation
- Health Law
- Healthcare Billing and Collection
- Commercial and Business Litigation
- Litigation and Risk Management