J.J. Rolling focuses his practice on matters involving real estate including eminent domain, drainage problems and property tax assessments. Prior to joining von Briesen, J.J. handled cases from negotiation to appeal with a boutique eminent domain practice. He gained experience with condemnation litigation during law school as an extern with the Wisconsin Department of Justice’s Civil Litigation Unit and as an intern with the Wisconsin Court of Appeals. J.J. is a Wisconsin Rising Stars honoree (2019-2020).
He is a member of the American Bar Association (Litigation Section and the Real Estate, Condemnation, and Trust Litigation Committee), the Dane County Bar Association, and the International Right of Way Association (Chair, Wisconsin Chapter’s Legislation Committee). He writes extensively on topics such as utility relocation, access, and adverse possession claims involving the government. J.J. also maintains affiliate membership with the Wisconsin Society of Land Surveyors and with the Appraisal Institute, for which he has also written on changes to Wisconsin property laws.
Presentations and Awards
- “Easements, Rights-of-Way, and Eminent Domain”, December 2019
- “42nd Annual Torts Update,” State Bar of Wisconsin, September 2019
- “Utility Zoning and Easement Law,” NBI, February 2019
- “Real Estate Development: Common Pitfalls,” NBI, September 2018
- “Eminent Domain: Legal Framework and Valuation,” Annual Conference of the American Public Works Association–Wisconsin Chapter, May 2018
- “Interim Use: Legal and Appraisal Perspectives on Eminent Domain Ramifications,” International Right of Way Association 63rd International Education Conference, June 2017
- “Interim Use: Legal and Appraisal Perspectives on Eminent Domain Ramifications,” 14th Annual Condemnation Appraisal Symposium, May 2017
- Finalist, Young Professional of the Year Award, International Right of Way Association, 2016
- “Up and Coming Lawyer”, Wisconsin Law Journal, 2016