Apr 27 2011
Beth Kushner is a Shareholder in the Litigation and Risk Management Practice Group. She specializes in complex litigation and has successfully handled a broad range of business and commercial disputes, shareholder disputes, construction matters, antitrust disputes, class actions of all sorts, fraud and RICO cases, employment cases and product liability claims. She has a particular expertise in cases that involve high exposure and difficult facts, and her clients appreciate her creative, pragmatic, and cost-effective approach to litigation. She has a demonstrated ability to devise and implement winning strategies and to do so without losing sight of cost, business disruption, or public relations. In addition, Beth regularly represents clients in mediations and arbitrations, as well as acts as a neutral, and is a member of the Wisconsin Association of Mediators. She enjoys the respect of lawyers and judges in Wisconsin and around the country.
Beth is a member of The American Law Institute, where elected membership of lawyers, judges, and law professors is limited to 3,000. She is also a Senior Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America, an invitation-only society of trial lawyers comprised of less than 1/2 of 1% of American lawyers.
In 2014, Wisconsin’s two United States senators nominated Beth to President Barack Obama as a federal district court judge. She is a Fellow of both the Wisconsin Law Foundation and the American Bar Foundation.
Beth has maintained an active pro bono practice and is committed to providing legal services to indigent and other underserved clients. In 1997, she received the Gene and Ruth Posner Pro Bono award for assisting Russian and Eastern European immigrants. In 2002, she received the Association of Women Lawyers’ Mentoring Award.
Beth is an Adjunct Professor at Marquette Law School, where she teaches Pretrial Practice.
Beth currently volunteers in hospice with her rough collie, Howard. Between 2006 and 2009, she served on the Board of Directors of Meta House, an organization that assists women with substance abuse issues and their children.
- University of Virginia, J.D., 1979
- University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, B.A., 1975
- U.S. District Court, Eastern and Western Districts of Wisconsin
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Litigation Counsel of America, Senior Fellow
- American Law Foundation
- Wisconsin Law Foundation
- Member—American Law Institute
- Best Lawyers® Product Liability Litigation-Defendants "Lawyer of the Year", Milwaukee (2021)
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Bet-the-Company Litigation (2022), Appellate (2021-2022), Commercial Litigation (2007-2022), Personal Injury Litigation-Defendants (2013-2022), Product Liability-Defendants (2015-2022)
- “Top 25: Women Wisconsin Super Lawyers®” (2011-2013, 2017)
- Wisconsin Super Lawyers® (2005-2021)
- Benchmark Litigation “Top 250 Women in Litigation”
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
- "Women in the Law", Wisconsin Law Journal (2007)
- Marquette Law School, Adjunct Professor, Pretrial Practice
- Hospice Volunteer
Areas of Practice
- Dispute Resolution
- Class Actions
- Commercial and Business Litigation
- Construction Law and Litigation
- Drug and Medical Device Litigation
- Government Enforcement and Internal Investigations
- Health Law
- Insurance Coverage and Risk Management
- Labor and Employment
- Litigation and Risk Management
- Product Liability
- Professional Liability
- Strategic Risk and Crisis Management